urgently needed advice for non-working Smart for 2 electric Fw: Bricked battery

Molly

Anyone interested and able to give someone with a problem with his electric car ideas and/or discuss it further with him? This is his only vehicle and he has limited resources.

Guy Cage has a Smart for 2 electric, which he bought used for around $9,000  (here's some limited info on it: http://renuuable.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/Guys-EV-Testimonial.pdf) and he now needs help finding someone trustworthy to discuss affordable options to get his car going again. Anyone know good and reasonable electric car mechanics? He doesn't want to go back to an ICE car, and he'd like to get this fixed if he can afford it, but he's retired and has limited financial resources.

Thanks!
Molly Rooke

----- Forwarded Message -----

To: Molly Rooke <mollyrooke@...>
Sent: Sunday, October 3, 2021, 10:48:50 AM CDT
Subject: Bricked battery

On Thursday I discovered that my HV battery was being discharged ehae it was parked. I charged it again on Friday planing to drive a ways on Sunday. On Saturday the HV battery was "'bricked." In just two days it went from okay to bricked. The Forum had stuff about the 12V battery causing this problem and I am hoping to find a technician who can help diagnose my car. I have a number for AutoScope and plan to call sthem on Monday

Mellen West

Molly,  I suggest that Guy make contact with our friends the North Texas Electric Automobile Association   https://nteaa.org/   They have real practical knowledge. And experience.

Mellen

From: main@NTREG.groups.io <main@NTREG.groups.io> On Behalf Of Molly
Sent: Sunday, 3 October, 2021 6:15 PM
To: NTREG Main Group <main@ntreg.groups.io>
Subject: [NTREG] urgently needed advice for non-working Smart for 2 electric Fw: Bricked battery

Anyone interested and able to give someone with a problem with his electric car ideas and/or discuss it further with him? This is his only vehicle and he has limited resources.

Guy Cage has a Smart for 2 electric, which he bought used for around $9,000  (here's some limited info on it: http://renuuable.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/Guys-EV-Testimonial.pdf) and he now needs help finding someone trustworthy to discuss affordable options to get his car going again. Anyone know good and reasonable electric car mechanics? He doesn't want to go back to an ICE car, and he'd like to get this fixed if he can afford it, but he's retired and has limited financial resources.

Thanks!

Molly Rooke

On Thursday I discovered that my HV battery was being discharged ehae it was parked. I charged it again on Friday planing to drive a ways on Sunday. On Saturday the HV battery was "'bricked." In just two days it went from okay to bricked. The Forum had stuff about the 12V battery causing this problem and I am hoping to find a technician who can help diagnose my car. I have a number for AutoScope and plan to call sthem on Monday

Eric Pratt

Hi Molly,

You may have already thought of Adam Lansing who converts cars to electric propulsion.  He made a presentation to NTREG Dec. 2018.  His company website is:

https://www.hawkeyeinnovationsllc.com/

I don't know if he works on non conversions, but if not he might know someone who does.

Good Luck,

Eric Pratt

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On 10/3/2021 6:15 PM, Molly wrote:

Thanks!
Molly Rooke

Molly

Thanks, Eric. That's good to know and I'll send the info to Guy.
Molly

On Tuesday, October 5, 2021, 4:39:15 PM CDT, Eric Pratt <ewpratt@...> wrote:

Hi Molly,

You may have already thought of Adam Lansing who converts cars to electric propulsion.  He made a presentation to NTREG Dec. 2018.  His company website is:

I don't know if he works on non conversions, but if not he might know someone who does.

Good Luck,

Eric Pratt

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks!
Molly Rooke

Eric Johnson

I did some online research, and found a discussion of another Smart Car owner with a defective battery.  This fellow was able to remove the battery,  test each cell individually, and eventually get it back to good working order.  But when he installed the battery in the car, he found that an onboard computer, running proprietary software, continued to store a fault code, and the computer prevented the car from operating normally.  That is, it would not move.  The onboard computer also prevented the battery from being charged.  At this point, it seems that the only practical way to repair this car would be to remove the onboard computer system, with proprietary software, and replace it with new wiring, and aftermarket electronic controls, including an aftermarket charging system.  These cars have been designed and manufactured to prevent an independent repair shop from performing work on the main battery, and the associated electronic controls.  This type of conundrum is not limited to electric vehicles, however.  There are gasoline fueled vehicles that must be taken to a dealer if the 12 volt battery needs to be replaced.  If an independent shop replaces the battery, without resetting the onboard computer, the vehicle will not move.

On Tue, Oct 5, 2021 at 4:58 PM Molly <mollyrooke@...> wrote:
Thanks, Eric. That's good to know and I'll send the info to Guy.
Molly

On Tuesday, October 5, 2021, 4:39:15 PM CDT, Eric Pratt <ewpratt@...> wrote:

Hi Molly,

Good Luck,

Eric Pratt

Thanks!
Molly Rooke