The renewable energy revolution will need renewable storage

This was an article in the New Yorker last month and was the subject of the Think interview on KERA-FM yesterday. You can listen to the interview by Krys Boyd of Matthew Hutson at:
https://think.kera.org/2022/05/11/beyond-batteries-what-we-need-to-store-renewable-energy/

The original New Yorker article can be read at:
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2022/04/25/the-renewable-energy-revolution-will-need-renewable-storage

One of the ideas being investigated for generating and storing energy in boreholes is discussed in this news item from Petrolern:
https://www.petrolern.com/conversion-to-clean-geothermal-electricity-or-heat-petrolern-llcs-profitable-alternative-to-bidens-plan-for-plugging-of-old-oil-wells/

I met Dr Joseph Batir at EarthX 2022. He studied at SMU and is involved with Petrolern. He has agreed to work on a presentation to NTREG in a few months. See him on this page:  https://www.petrolern.com/about-us/our-team/
See more about Petrolern at: https://www.petrolern.com/

Jack Smith

I think this could be a gamechanger (or too good to be true). MIT spinoff.

>gyrotron-powered drilling platform vaporizes boreholes through rock and provides access to deep geothermal heat without complex downhole equipment.

>to drill down to 20 km and 500° C

>first power plant to be online by 2026

https://www.quaise.energy/

In depth explanation.

https://youtu.be/5kgHdh_yFr4

Jim Duncan

Maria Richards, program coordinator for the SMU Geothermal Laboratory spoke on that very subject a decade or more ago. A great idea was the consensus. The investors were skeptical and the oil cartel said... not using our wells you don't. Pretty much the end of the conversation...

https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/environment/article/Geothermal-energy-is-gaining-ground-in-Texas-784784.php

Jim Duncan
Solar Acres Farm
817.917.0527
solarguy2004@...
On 5/23/2022 10:28 AM, Jack Smith via groups.io wrote:

I think this could be a gamechanger (or too good to be true). MIT spinoff.

>gyrotron-powered drilling platform vaporizes boreholes through rock and provides access to deep geothermal heat without complex downhole equipment.

>to drill down to 20 km and 500° C

>first power plant to be online by 2026

https://www.quaise.energy/

In depth explanation.

https://youtu.be/5kgHdh_yFr4

jwhosch@...

The video describing the technology discloses some important “Oh, by the way” unanswered questions that require the next step of drilling an n km-deep hole in the ground.   The melted rock “glass” hole liner will likely be too brittle to replace a physical well casing. And keeping the km-long drilling wave guide straight to a couple of millimeters is going to be tough.  But it is worth giving a “college try!”

Maria Richards, program coordinator for the SMU Geothermal Laboratory spoke on that very subject a decade or more ago. A great idea was the consensus. The investors were skeptical and the oil cartel said... not using our wells you don't. Pretty much the end of the conversation...

https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/environment/article/Geothermal-energy-is-gaining-ground-in-Texas-784784.php

Jim Duncan
Solar Acres Farm
817.917.0527
solarguy2004@...

On 5/23/2022 10:28 AM, Jack Smith via groups.io wrote:

I think this could be a gamechanger (or too good to be true). MIT spinoff.

>gyrotron-powered drilling platform vaporizes boreholes through rock and provides access to deep geothermal heat without complex downhole equipment.

>to drill down to 20 km and 500° C

>first power plant to be online by 2026

https://www.quaise.energy/

In depth explanation.

https://youtu.be/5kgHdh_yFr4

Jim Duncan

I suspect the old collage try has been tried and will be tried again. The results, benefits and failures, are known and workarounds are underway. The only concern I have is who is paying for it. The energy cartel is famous for asking for and receiving taxpayer funded grant dollars while the revolving door of bureaucrats and corporate energy advisors will make sure the dollars keep coming.

Jim....

Jim Duncan
Solar Acres Farm
817.917.0527
solarguy2004@...
On 5/24/2022 3:16 PM, jwhosch@... wrote:

The video describing the technology discloses some important “Oh, by the way” unanswered questions that require the next step of drilling an n km-deep hole in the ground.   The melted rock “glass” hole liner will likely be too brittle to replace a physical well casing. And keeping the km-long drilling wave guide straight to a couple of millimeters is going to be tough.  But it is worth giving a “college try!”

Maria Richards, program coordinator for the SMU Geothermal Laboratory spoke on that very subject a decade or more ago. A great idea was the consensus. The investors were skeptical and the oil cartel said... not using our wells you don't. Pretty much the end of the conversation...

https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/environment/article/Geothermal-energy-is-gaining-ground-in-Texas-784784.php

Jim Duncan
Solar Acres Farm
817.917.0527
solarguy2004@...

On 5/23/2022 10:28 AM, Jack Smith via groups.io wrote:

I think this could be a gamechanger (or too good to be true). MIT spinoff.

>gyrotron-powered drilling platform vaporizes boreholes through rock and provides access to deep geothermal heat without complex downhole equipment.

>to drill down to 20 km and 500° C

>first power plant to be online by 2026

https://www.quaise.energy/

In depth explanation.

https://youtu.be/5kgHdh_yFr4

thewineprince

Nothing will change, or it will change at less than a snails pace, unless we elect and appoint the right people across the ballot.

But I am not holding my breath. I worked the polls Tuesday and our location had a demoralizing total of 18 voters turn out. Where there are thousands registered. Only a tiny minority cares.

Electing the right people is how the things we advocate here are going to get done. If people don’t vote the same bought and paid for people stay in office and the cartels win.

I’ll step off my soapbox now.

Sent from ProtonMail for iOS

On Wed, May 25, 2022 at 8:08 AM, Jim Duncan <solarguy2004@...> wrote:

I suspect the old collage try has been tried and will be tried again. The results, benefits and failures, are known and workarounds are underway. The only concern I have is who is paying for it. The energy cartel is famous for asking for and receiving taxpayer funded grant dollars while the revolving door of bureaucrats and corporate energy advisors will make sure the dollars keep coming.

Jim....

Jim Duncan
Solar Acres Farm
817.917.0527
solarguy2004@...

The video describing the technology discloses some important “Oh, by the way” unanswered questions that require the next step of drilling an n km-deep hole in the ground. The melted rock “glass” hole liner will likely be too brittle to replace a physical well casing. And keeping the km-long drilling wave guide straight to a couple of millimeters is going to be tough. But it is worth giving a “college try!”

Maria Richards, program coordinator for the SMU Geothermal Laboratory spoke on that very subject a decade or more ago. A great idea was the consensus. The investors were skeptical and the oil cartel said... not using our wells you don't. Pretty much the end of the conversation...

https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/environment/article/Geothermal-energy-is-gaining-ground-in-Texas-784784.php

Jim Duncan
Solar Acres Farm
817.917.0527
solarguy2004@...

On 5/23/2022 10:28 AM, Jack Smith via groups.io wrote:

I think this could be a gamechanger (or too good to be true). MIT spinoff.

>gyrotron-powered drilling platform vaporizes boreholes through rock and provides access to deep geothermal heat without complex downhole equipment.

>to drill down to 20 km and 500° C

>first power plant to be online by 2026

https://www.quaise.energy/

In depth explanation.

https://youtu.be/5kgHdh_yFr4

Fred Anders

On Thu, May 26, 2022 at 07:04 AM, thewineprince wrote:
Nothing will change, or it will change at less than a snails pace, unless we elect and appoint the right people across the ballot.

Since you brought it up... :) You're right, but the fundamental problem is slightly deeper, in that our outdated embrace of plurality voting and single-member districts hinders the "right people" from ever running and keeps us locked into an increasingly polarized, do-nothing, two-party doom loop. The 18 [likely more partisan] voters you saw in Tuesday's primary runoff effectively decided the general election candidates for the thousands of others.)

People may zone out reading the above and think "I don't understand or care about that", but if you care about accelerating renewable energy adoption (or fixing any societal problem that requires government), I guarantee you there is no more important issue to understand. Non-partisan solutions exist today (ranked choice voting, proportional representation), but they need your support. Details here: https://www.vox.com/2020/1/23/21075960/polarization-parties-ranked-choice-voting-proportional-representation

Jack Smith

From the Dallas Morning News:  "In Dallas County, for example, 4.39% of registered voters cast a ballot in the Democratic primary runoff, and 3.02% voted in Republican races. In Tarrant County, the numbers were also low: 2.17% cast a ballot in the Democratic primary, and 5.68% in the Republican."

Not too surprising considering how the Census under counted the Texas population by 500,000 (thanks Wilber Ross!) and used the new numbers to reduce democrat districts and expand republican ones. It's all legal because SCOTUS has pretty much gutted the voting rights act of 1965.

Trump was right, it's all rigged.

Time to replace John Cornyn with Musk? Now that Elon has switched to 'R' it won't be long before his cult of followers put him in Congress.

Meanwhile back in the real world:

https://www.cnet.com/science/features/researchers-say-were-in-the-sixth-mass-extinction-heres-why-it-matters/

"What we've lost in 100 years would have been lost in 10,000 years in normal times."

thewineprince

Absolutely, Fred. I dont intend to begin a political discussion. I really just intended that as a prompt or reminder to participate and to urge others to do so. It’s my little bit to hopefully help without offending. And I am a huge fan of ranked choice voting. Some in the US now use it. It is progress.

On Thu, May 26, 2022 at 10:03 AM, Fred Anders <fjanders1@...> wrote:
[...]

axisdesign@...

THE TROUBLE WITH LITHIUM

The Trouble With Lithium (yahoo.com)