Dallas ISD 2020 Bond Proposal: Geothermal, Renewable Energy, and Sustainability

Dallas Morning News article from Thu 2/13/20 has a table in the print and epaper versions including the following under the highest price tag ($3.7 billion option) adds:

1) Geothermal replacement - Includes: Replacing systems at seven schools; Cost estimate: $16.7 million.

Does anyone know, or know where to find details such as which schools, what exactly is being replaced and what they are being replaced with?

During NTREG’s Jan 2020 field trip to Lady Bird Johnson Middle School in Irving there was some discussion of this, but the Irving ISD official said they are enthusiastic about their geothermal system and Frisco indicates the District has utilized geothermal heat pump systems and energy recovery ventilation in all facilities opening after 2003.

2) Green building funds – Includes: Renewable energy and sustainability efforts; Cost estimate: $10 million.

Details?

Note: These don’t include whatever may be included in the base package item for Facilities – Includes: Building improvements districtwide for new roofs, improved access for the disabled and replacing aging systems like fire alarm HV/Acs; Cost estimate: $572 million

Pdf’s of epaper article pages (2): https://drive.google.com/open?id=1WMciWdBAkaaDEy9qZOk0gbNEY3HNLpSp

Michael Linn

If it is possible, I would appreciate any information about who I could talk with about these schools.  We used artificial intelligence and a small cooling tower to "save" a geothermal school in Pensacola after years of constantly cooling - the ground loop had become overheated.  We dumped the accumulated heat in the winter and at night.  The AI patent was the critical component of the University building that received the 2014 ASHRAE Global First Place Tech Prize for educational buildings.  It saved 56% of the energy from the planned system.  I'd like to qualify, if these systems can be saved for a fraction of the cost and at much higher efficiency.
--
W. Michael Linn

Mellen West

Thanks Michael,  I reached out to DISD District 14 trustee Justin Henry.  He hooked me up with someone in operations.  He says it is a complicated series of events including converting old systems to thermal.  I asked for more detail, specifically when work was performed, who designed the system and who was mechanical contractor.  That was a few weeks ago.  I need to give them a ping.
Mellen

Mellen West

The only schools i know that are subject to retire their geothermal systems are Richards and Medrano Elementary Schools.  I've asked my DISD Trustee, Justin Henry for more info and waiting for info. on why.  My third party source informs me that replacement is due largely to poor/ineffective maintenance or design.

Michael Linn

The ineffective maintenance or design answer suggests they might be repairable.  A closed ground loop should last 50+ years.  That’s the expensive part.  If it’s open loop it could be silt filled.