Biden Administration Plans Wind Farms Along Nearly the Entire U.S. Coastline


 

I think that those without New York Times subscriptions can read this article, but I can’t tell:
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/13/climate/biden-offshore-wind-farms.html?referringSource=articleShare 

Interior Secretary Deb Haaland announced that her agency will formally begin the process of identifying federal waters to lease to wind developers by 2025.


Mark Witte
 

"...will formally begin the process of identifying federal waters to lease to wind developers by 2025." Seriously? It will take them three years(!) just to begin the process of identifying off-shore sites for wind farm developments? They need to dramatically accelerate the process, if they want to help renewable deployment. Talk about bureaucratic inertia.  

On Wednesday, October 13, 2021, 04:24:08 PM CDT, Bill Byrom via groups.io <bill@...> wrote:


I think that those without New York Times subscriptions can read this article, but I can’t tell:
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/13/climate/biden-offshore-wind-farms.html?referringSource=articleShare 

Interior Secretary Deb Haaland announced that her agency will formally begin the process of identifying federal waters to lease to wind developers by 2025.


Luke
 

Lease sales will happen in the Gulf of Mexico by end of next year


On Wed, Oct 13, 2021 at 4:33 PM Mark Witte <witte.m@...> wrote:
"...will formally begin the process of identifying federal waters to lease to wind developers by 2025." Seriously? It will take them three years(!) just to begin the process of identifying off-shore sites for wind farm developments? They need to dramatically accelerate the process, if they want to help renewable deployment. Talk about bureaucratic inertia.  

On Wednesday, October 13, 2021, 04:24:08 PM CDT, Bill Byrom via groups.io <bill=byrom.net@groups.io> wrote:


I think that those without New York Times subscriptions can read this article, but I can’t tell:
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/13/climate/biden-offshore-wind-farms.html?referringSource=articleShare 

Interior Secretary Deb Haaland announced that her agency will formally begin the process of identifying federal waters to lease to wind developers by 2025.



--
Luke Metzger 
Executive Director, Environment Texas 

200 E. 30th Street
Austin, Texas 78705
(512) 743-8257 cell
I'm hiring a Global Warming Solutions Advocate - learn more and apply here!

Environment Texas works for clean air, clean water, clean energy, wildlife and open spaces, and a livable climate. Our members across the state put grassroots support behind our research and advocacy. Environment Texas is part of Environment America, a national network of 29 state environmental groups. Learn more at www.EnvironmentTexas.org


 

Large projects in such areas take years of planning. I believe that they intend to release for lease all of the many currently proposed offshore development areas by 2025, and as Luke points out many may be available much sooner. Of course, a lot of federal renewable energy projects didn’t move rapidly during the previous administration. Here is some related news:

Heather Zichal, a former climate adviser to President Barack Obama who now leads the American Clean Power Association, a renewable energy group, said Biden’s goal for offshore wind was “ambitious but achievable″ and an essential part of the goal to reach 100 percent carbon pollution-free electricity by 2035.
In a related announcement, the Energy Department said it is spending $11.5 million to study risks that offshore wind development may pose to birds, bats, and marine mammals, and survey changes in commercial fish and marine invertebrate populations at an offshore wind site on the East Coast.
The department will spend $2 million on visual surveys and acoustic monitoring of marine mammals and seabirds at potential wind sites on the West Coast.
“In order for Americans living in coastal areas to see the benefits of offshore wind, we must ensure that it’s done with care for the surrounding ecosystem by coexisting with fisheries and marine life – and that’s exactly what this investment will do,” Energy Secretary Jennifer Granholm said in a news release.


Mark Witte
 

The attached graphic provides an indication of the size and production difference between on-shore and off-shore wind turbines.  To make this administration's goal about renewable electricity generation a reality, they really need to move expeditiously. 

On Wednesday, October 13, 2021, 04:58:52 PM CDT, Bill Byrom via groups.io <bill@...> wrote:


Large projects in such areas take years of planning. I believe that they intend to release for lease all of the many currently proposed offshore development areas by 2025, and as Luke points out many may be available much sooner. Of course, a lot of federal renewable energy projects didn’t move rapidly during the previous administration. Here is some related news:

Heather Zichal, a former climate adviser to President Barack Obama who now leads the American Clean Power Association, a renewable energy group, said Biden’s goal for offshore wind was “ambitious but achievable″ and an essential part of the goal to reach 100 percent carbon pollution-free electricity by 2035.
In a related announcement, the Energy Department said it is spending $11.5 million to study risks that offshore wind development may pose to birds, bats, and marine mammals, and survey changes in commercial fish and marine invertebrate populations at an offshore wind site on the East Coast.
The department will spend $2 million on visual surveys and acoustic monitoring of marine mammals and seabirds at potential wind sites on the West Coast.
“In order for Americans living in coastal areas to see the benefits of offshore wind, we must ensure that it’s done with care for the surrounding ecosystem by coexisting with fisheries and marine life – and that’s exactly what this investment will do,” Energy Secretary Jennifer Granholm said in a news release.


Robert Virkus
 

Notice that these wind farms will Be built by the investments of corporations. All the Biden administration is going to do us allow them to be built if companies choose to make the investments. And they should do all the proper due diligence necessary rather than give the industry a quick special pass. 


On Wednesday, October 13, 2021, Mark Witte <witte.m@...> wrote:
The attached graphic provides an indication of the size and production difference between on-shore and off-shore wind turbines.  To make this administration's goal about renewable electricity generation a reality, they really need to move expeditiously. 

On Wednesday, October 13, 2021, 04:58:52 PM CDT, Bill Byrom via groups.io <bill=byrom.net@groups.io> wrote:


Large projects in such areas take years of planning. I believe that they intend to release for lease all of the many currently proposed offshore development areas by 2025, and as Luke points out many may be available much sooner. Of course, a lot of federal renewable energy projects didn’t move rapidly during the previous administration. Here is some related news:

Heather Zichal, a former climate adviser to President Barack Obama who now leads the American Clean Power Association, a renewable energy group, said Biden’s goal for offshore wind was “ambitious but achievable″ and an essential part of the goal to reach 100 percent carbon pollution-free electricity by 2035.
In a related announcement, the Energy Department said it is spending $11.5 million to study risks that offshore wind development may pose to birds, bats, and marine mammals, and survey changes in commercial fish and marine invertebrate populations at an offshore wind site on the East Coast.
The department will spend $2 million on visual surveys and acoustic monitoring of marine mammals and seabirds at potential wind sites on the West Coast.
“In order for Americans living in coastal areas to see the benefits of offshore wind, we must ensure that it’s done with care for the surrounding ecosystem by coexisting with fisheries and marine life – and that’s exactly what this investment will do,” Energy Secretary Jennifer Granholm said in a news release.


thewineprince
 

What we needed was a Bernie presidency and a matching likeminded supermajority in the House and Senate. And the majority of states.

Any less meant movement would be predicably slow with little if any real headway. 

But Bernie again got railroaded out and the public was deceived, frightened again with the prospect of too much change too fast so here we are. 

It’s just disgusting what greed and power does even when running headlong into disaster.

Just my two cents. 

Sent from ProtonMail for iOS


On Wed, Oct 13, 2021 at 4:24 PM, Bill Byrom via groups.io <bill@...> wrote:
I think that those without New York Times subscriptions can read this article, but I can’t tell:
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/13/climate/biden-offshore-wind-farms.html?referringSource=articleShare 

Interior Secretary Deb Haaland announced that her agency will formally begin the process of identifying federal waters to lease to wind developers by 2025.