Ground Source Heat Pump installer

thewineprince

We have a 15 year old HVAC sustem that will probably need to be replaced in the near future.  I’d like to go to a Ground Source Heat Pump. Are there people who install GSHPs in DFW?

Warm Regards,
Michael schwartz

Sent from ProtonMail for iOS

Mellen West

Michael,  NTREG member Bill Neukranz installed geothermal system at his Plano home in 2007 and was featured on the 2015 DFW Solar Tour.  Bill was very happy with his system but acknowledge there was a lot of drilling involved and associated permit soft costs.  Unfortunately, Bill passed away a few years ago so you can’t contact him.  I attached Bill’s host information as it appeared on the tour website and photo of his front yard after drilling completed.

I am NOT an expert but It is my opinion that these days there may be better residential options than geothermal.  Heat pump technology has really advanced.  I am looking at mini-split systems for our 400 sf guest house since the current system is also nearing end of life cycle. 

Paul Westbrook would stress efficiency.  Paul’s home is a model of efficiency.  He also wrote a book titled Joy of Efficiency that is well worth reading and available on Amazon.  Our home pales in comparison.

Others will have more suggestions but that’s my two cents.

Mellen

From: main@NTREG.groups.io <main@NTREG.groups.io> On Behalf Of thewineprince via groups.io
Sent: Monday, 9 August, 2021 12:46 PM
To: main@ntreg.groups.io
Subject: [NTREG] Ground Source Heat Pump installer

We have a 15 year old HVAC sustem that will probably need to be replaced in the near future.  I’d like to go to a Ground Source Heat Pump. Are there people who install GSHPs in DFW?

Warm Regards,

Michael schwartz

Excel Geothermal is going to install the GSHP system in the new house I’m building this summer. See:

I’m getting a ClimateMaster system (made in Oklahoma City) with the highest available Energy Star EER rating. Hot water will be from the desuperheater used by the system. 

My project will use vertical wells, which require a drilling rig. That’s easy for my project, since my old house and foundation will be demolished by Dallas Demolition later this week, so the geothermal drilling rig will have easy access. 

The progress (or lack thereof) can be seen on my old house demolition & new house construction webcam at:

Bill

On Mon, Aug 9, 2021, at 12:45 PM, thewineprince via groups.io wrote:

Warm Regards,
Michael schwartz

thewineprince

Sounds cool! I will want to watch this!

Michael Schwartz

May the Schwartz be with you

“We are like tenant farmers chopping down the fence around our house for fuel when we should be using Nature's inexhaustible sources of energy — sun, wind and tide. ... I'd put my money on the sun and solar energy. What a source of power! I hope we don’t have to wait until oil and coal run out before we tackle that. “
- Thomas Edison

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐

On Monday, August 9th, 2021 at 2:30 PM, Bill Byrom via groups.io <bill@...> wrote:

Excel Geothermal is going to install the GSHP system in the new house I’m building this summer. See:

I’m getting a ClimateMaster system (made in Oklahoma City) with the highest available Energy Star EER rating. Hot water will be from the desuperheater used by the system. 

My project will use vertical wells, which require a drilling rig. That’s easy for my project, since my old house and foundation will be demolished by Dallas Demolition later this week, so the geothermal drilling rig will have easy access. 

The progress (or lack thereof) can be seen on my old house demolition & new house construction webcam at:

Bill

Warm Regards,
Michael schwartz

I will try to remember to post here when the Volvo ECR305CL demolition excavator starts knocking down my old house later this week. I will also try to catch the geothermal well drilling rig when it's active. The link I gave only shows the live image, but I have 10 days of archived video available at the Nest website. So I can create a "greatest hits" reel showing machinery in action!

Bill

On Mon, Aug 9, 2021, at 5:04 PM, thewineprince via groups.io wrote:

Michael Schwartz

“We are like tenant farmers chopping down the fence around our house for fuel when we should be using Nature's inexhaustible sources of energy — sun, wind and tide. ... I'd put my money on the sun and solar energy. What a source of power! I hope we don’t have to wait until oil and coal run out before we tackle that. “
- Thomas Edison

On Monday, August 9th, 2021 at 2:30 PM, Bill Byrom via groups.io <bill@...> wrote:

Bill

Warm Regards,
Michael schwartz

thewineprince

Thank for that info, mellen

On Mon, Aug 9, 2021 at 1:37 PM, Mellen West <mellenmail@...> wrote:

Michael,  NTREG member Bill Neukranz installed geothermal system at his Plano home in 2007 and was featured on the 2015 DFW Solar Tour.  Bill was very happy with his system but acknowledge there was a lot of drilling involved and associated permit soft costs.  Unfortunately, Bill passed away a few years ago so you can’t contact him.  I attached Bill’s host information as it appeared on the tour website and photo of his front yard after drilling completed.

I am NOT an expert but It is my opinion that these days there may be better residential options than geothermal.  Heat pump technology has really advanced.  I am looking at mini-split systems for our 400 sf guest house since the current system is also nearing end of life cycle. 

Paul Westbrook would stress efficiency.  Paul’s home is a model of efficiency.  He also wrote a book titled Joy of Efficiency that is well worth reading and available on Amazon.  Our home pales in comparison.

Others will have more suggestions but that’s my two cents.

Mellen

From: main@NTREG.groups.io <main@NTREG.groups.io> On Behalf Of thewineprince via groups.io
Sent: Monday, 9 August, 2021 12:46 PM
To: main@ntreg.groups.io
Subject: [NTREG] Ground Source Heat Pump installer

Warm Regards,

Michael schwartz

thewineprince

Dont forget to include bloopers! ;)

On Mon, Aug 9, 2021 at 5:50 PM, Bill Byrom via groups.io <bill@...> wrote:
I will try to remember to post here when the Volvo ECR305CL demolition excavator starts knocking down my old house later this week. I will also try to catch the geothermal well drilling rig when it's active. The link I gave only shows the live image, but I have 10 days of archived video available at the Nest website. So I can create a "greatest hits" reel showing machinery in action!

Bill

On Mon, Aug 9, 2021, at 5:04 PM, thewineprince via groups.io wrote:

Michael Schwartz

- Thomas Edison

Bill

Warm Regards,
Michael schwartz

Paul Westbrook

Bill mentioned one of the local installers. Review my past presentation on GSHP for more details. Next month marks 25 years of using GSHP for us. We replaced the indoor unit a few years ago (leaking indoor evap coil and old refrigerant availability drove the decision), but the original ground loop is still humming along fine.
https://www.ntreg.org/dnld/2020-05-09%20Ground%20Source%20Heat%20Pumps%20-%20Paul%20Westbrook.pdf

Paul

Robert Lagerblad

Paul,

FYI

The link did not work when I tried it.

Robert L

From: main@NTREG.groups.io <main@NTREG.groups.io> On Behalf Of Paul Westbrook via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, August 10, 2021 7:13 AM
To: main@NTREG.groups.io
Subject: Re: [NTREG] Ground Source Heat Pump installer

Bill mentioned one of the local installers. Review my past presentation on GSHP for more details. Next month marks 25 years of using GSHP for us. We replaced the indoor unit a few years ago (leaking indoor evap coil and old refrigerant availability drove the decision), but the original ground loop is still humming along fine.
https://www.ntreg.org/dnld/2020-05-09%20Ground%20Source%20Heat%20Pumps%20-%20Paul%20Westbrook.pdf

Paul

Dan Lepinski, P.E.

Robert,

The link worked for me.

Here's another: https://www.ntreg.org/pastmeetings.html#2020

Scroll down to May, 2020. Paul's presentation is available for download as a PDF.

Dan

On 8/10/21 8:29 AM, Robert Lagerblad wrote:
Paul,

FYI

Robert L

*From:* main@NTREG.groups.io <main@NTREG.groups.io> *On Behalf Of *Paul Westbrook via groups.io
*Sent:* Tuesday, August 10, 2021 7:13 AM
*To:* main@NTREG.groups.io
*Subject:* Re: [NTREG] Ground Source Heat Pump installer

Paul

thewineprince

Thank you much, Paul!

I know there is so much more we need to do to get this old house more efficient. One step at a time. 

Michael Schwartz

- Thomas Edison

On Tuesday, August 10th, 2021 at 7:13 AM, Paul Westbrook <pwestbrook@...> wrote:

Paul

thewineprince

I saw this presentation. Always such great information you all provide.

Michael Schwartz

- Thomas Edison

On Tuesday, August 10th, 2021 at 8:53 AM, Dan Lepinski, P.E. <Dan@ntree.org> wrote:

Robert,

The link worked for me.

Scroll down to May, 2020. Paul's presentation is available for download as a PDF.

Dan

Paul,

FYI

Robert L

From: main@NTREG.groups.io main@NTREG.groups.io *On Behalf Of *Paul Westbrook via groups.io

Sent: Tuesday, August 10, 2021 7:13 AM

https://www.ntreg.org/dnld/2020-05-09 Ground Source Heat Pumps - Paul Westbrook.pdf

Paul

By the way, Dallas Demolition is nearly finished tearing down my old energy inefficient house. They should have the rubble removed by Friday. Cam at:

Next week the new house site prep will begin. The GSHP (Ground Source Heat Pump) contractor will bring in their drilling rig and install the geo wells. Then another company will inject soil stabilization treatment into the area of the new foundation to reduce soil expansion/contraction due to water. Then the post-stressed foundation work begins.

Bill

Robert Lagerblad

Dan, Paul,
Stand corrected. It did work, did not notice the .pdf.
Robert

-----Original Message-----
From: main@NTREG.groups.io <main@NTREG.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dan Lepinski, P.E. via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, August 10, 2021 8:54 AM

Robert,

The link worked for me.

Dan

Paul,

FYI

Robert L

*From:* main@NTREG.groups.io <main@NTREG.groups.io> *On Behalf Of *Paul Westbrook via groups.io
*Sent:* Tuesday, August 10, 2021 7:13 AM
*To:* main@NTREG.groups.io
*Subject:* Re: [NTREG] Ground Source Heat Pump installer

Paul