Texas’s big box store rooftop solar potential

Luke

Media Advisory for Thursday, January 20, 2022, 11 a.m.

For Immediate Release:

January 19, 2022

Media contacts:

Lennis Barlow, Clean Energy Associate, 601-624-0874, mbarlow@...

Wade Wilson, Solar on Superstores Campaign Associate, 919-260-1611, wwilson@...

Media Advisory: New study ranks Texas’s big box store rooftop solar potential compared to other states

Environment Texas Research & Policy Center will release a new report that calculates the combined rooftop solar capacity of every big box retail and grocery store in Texas. The report compares our state’s totals with those from others across the United States. The report finds that installing solar panels on the roofs of these stores can generate significant amounts of clean energy. These installations can provide benefits to the environment, the grid, consumers and businesses.

The report also recommends actions by private companies and public policies that will make big box solar more feasible and successful.

Speakers will discuss topics including the benefits of solar power for the state of Texas, goals for the future as solar advocates, the state of solar policy in Texas, and policy changes that are needed.

When: Thursday, January 20, at 11 am

Where:   https://publicinterestnetwork-org.zoom.us/j/93626680763?pwd=N1hUZVZFR1cyMkRSaXRJZVc1dk9IZz09

RSVP: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSd46GcdRMWUmMK65GKHSXjzwNbvVWvgB0JuI_rCeaycNi0kuQ/viewform?usp=sf_link

Who:

  • Lennis Barlow, Clean Energy Associate with Environment Texas

  • The Honorable Jasmine Crockett, State Representative TX District 100

  • Patrice ‘Pete’ Parsons, Texas Solar Energy Society Executive Director

  • Hanna Mitchell, Texas Director of Solar United Neighbors

###

Environment Texas Research & Policy Center is dedicated to protecting our air, water and open spaces. We work to protect the places we love, advance the environmental values we share, and win real results for our environment. For more information, visit www.environmenttexascenter.org.

--
Luke Metzger
Executive Director, Environment Texas

200 E. 30th Street
Austin, Texas 78705
(512) 743-8257 cell

Environment Texas works for clean air, clean water, clean energy, wildlife and open spaces, and a livable climate. Our members across the state put grassroots support behind our research and advocacy. Environment Texas is part of Environment America, a national network of 29 state environmental groups. Learn more at www.EnvironmentTexas.org