Re: The all-electric future (NPR Marketplace Nov 15)

Molly, the house is in Irving and nearly under construction, as we are still preparing to start the foundation. I demolished my old house on August 10 - it had problems - and I’m living across the street in a rental house. You can follow the new house construction project visually on my webcam at:

That webcam is aimed north from the rental house at my construction site. It’s one block south of Hwy 183, about halfway between the center of DFW Airport and Love Field. The vehicles past the trees on the left side of the image are on MacArthur Blvd, a major north/south thoroughfare which starts around I-30 in Grand Prairie and runs though Irving, the Los Colinas and Valley Ranch Irving development areas, Coppell, and ends at Round Grove Road in Lewisville. The Baylor Scott & White hospital in Irving is across the street at the left of the cam image.

The project is going slow now. The only thing going on so far this week was the soil testing drilling truck visit around noon today to take two soil core samples. Over the past 5 weeks (due to rain delays) there have been two rounds of soil stabilization chemical injections. The first round failed to meet the engineering requirements, so the equipment had to be brought back in for a second round. We needed a string of several dry sunny days so it wasn’t muddy.

In addition to supply chain issues, the construction industry locally is very busy right now. I started the house design process in February 2020, and I’m sure it won’t be completed in two years by February 2022. Demand is high on building materials, appliances, and labor.

Bill

On Tue, Nov 16, 2021, at 8:35 AM, Molly wrote:

Bill,
Your new house sounds great and like one we need to have on the DFW Solar Tour!  In what city is it located?
Thanks,
Molly Rooke

On Monday, November 15, 2021, 07:40:40 PM CST, Bill Byrom via groups.io <bill@...> wrote:

I just listened to this on the radio (KERA-FM locally) and you can listen online at:
Choose the Nov 15, 2021, episode. The piece about our all-electric future (with a real example in New Orleans) runs from 4:00 - 9:30.

The future sounds similar to the new house I'm building. I'm working with Michael Fladmark and Dan Lepinski on the solar panels, grid-tied inverter with off-grid capability, and a LFP (lithium iron phosphate) battery. I'm installing a GSHP (Ground Source Heat Pump) as described in the Marketplace episode. I wish they had also discussed energy efficient appliances (Energy Star and beyond) and energy efficient building techniques. Of course, there will be EV chargers in the garage.

I also need to eventually move to a full EV. Currently I own a 2020 Ford Fusion Energi 4-door PHEV with about 20-25 miles round-trip range (usually sufficient for my daily trips as a retired person) and of course it's also a hybrid vehicle with great gas mileage. But it has a tiny trunk, suitable for my backpack or one suitcase with not too much else, due to the HV batteries beneath and behind the rear seats. I also own a conventional ICE vehicle (2016 Dodge Caravan) which I purchased for a very good price from my employer when I retired and is good for moving big stuff. What I will be looking for in a few years is a medium sized SUV full EV with better range than most current EV models, which Ford (and GM) are moving toward this decade.