Re: The all-electric future (NPR Marketplace Nov 15)

Molly

Bill,
Your new house sounds great and like one we need to have on the DFW Solar Tour!  In what city is it located?
Thanks,
Molly Rooke

On Monday, November 15, 2021, 07:40:40 PM CST, Bill Byrom via groups.io <bill@...> wrote:

I just listened to this on the radio (KERA-FM locally) and you can listen online at:
https://www.marketplace.org/shows/marketplace/
Choose the Nov 15, 2021, episode. The piece about our all-electric future (with a real example in New Orleans) runs from 4:00 - 9:30.

The future sounds similar to the new house I'm building. I'm working with Michael Fladmark and Dan Lepinski on the solar panels, grid-tied inverter with off-grid capability, and a LFP (lithium iron phosphate) battery. I'm installing a GSHP (Ground Source Heat Pump) as described in the Marketplace episode. I wish they had also discussed energy efficient appliances (Energy Star and beyond) and energy efficient building techniques. Of course, there will be EV chargers in the garage.

I also need to eventually move to a full EV. Currently I own a 2020 Ford Fusion Energi 4-door PHEV with about 20-25 miles round-trip range (usually sufficient for my daily trips as a retired person) and of course it's also a hybrid vehicle with great gas mileage. But it has a tiny trunk, suitable for my backpack or one suitcase with not too much else, due to the HV batteries beneath and behind the rear seats. I also own a conventional ICE vehicle (2016 Dodge Caravan) which I purchased for a very good price from my employer when I retired and is good for moving big stuff. What I will be looking for in a few years is a medium sized SUV full EV with better range than most current EV models, which Ford (and GM) are moving toward this decade.