Re: The all-electric future (NPR Marketplace Nov 15)

Mellen West

I heard it too.  Share with others who may not be so informed. I posted on Nextdoor.

From: main@NTREG.groups.io <main@NTREG.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bill Byrom via groups.io
Sent: Monday, 15 November, 2021 7:41 PM
To: main@NTREG.groups.io
Subject: [NTREG] The all-electric future (NPR Marketplace Nov 15)

I just listened to this on the radio (KERA-FM locally) and you can listen online at:
https://www.marketplace.org/shows/marketplace/
Choose the Nov 15, 2021, episode. The piece about our all-electric future (with a real example in New Orleans) runs from 4:00 - 9:30.

The future sounds similar to the new house I'm building. I'm working with Michael Fladmark and Dan Lepinski on the solar panels, grid-tied inverter with off-grid capability, and a LFP (lithium iron phosphate) battery. I'm installing a GSHP (Ground Source Heat Pump) as described in the Marketplace episode. I wish they had also discussed energy efficient appliances (Energy Star and beyond) and energy efficient building techniques. Of course, there will be EV chargers in the garage.

I also need to eventually move to a full EV. Currently I own a 2020 Ford Fusion Energi 4-door PHEV with about 20-25 miles round-trip range (usually sufficient for my daily trips as a retired person) and of course it's also a hybrid vehicle with great gas mileage. But it has a tiny trunk, suitable for my backpack or one suitcase with not too much else, due to the HV batteries beneath and behind the rear seats. I also own a conventional ICE vehicle (2016 Dodge Caravan) which I purchased for a very good price from my employer when I retired and is good for moving big stuff. What I will be looking for in a few years is a medium sized SUV full EV with better range than most current EV models, which Ford (and GM) are moving toward this decade.