Re: Alternative mode of transportation

Joachim Saupe

The infrastructure is paid by all kinds of taxes, fuel tax is just a small part of it.
So everyone is already paying for most of it.
When you buy a bike, you pay sales tax... There goes your argument re. shoe leather.

My daughter lives in a rural area, Most of the roads are gravel and dirt. Why should she pay the same as me, living in the metroplex driving on paved roads everywhere I go?
Maybe a tax collector on everyone's passenger seat could assess the quality and distance of every road one travels.
Or hey, maybe we could do that electronically.... A record where every driver is at any given time... How quaint.

You are tilting at windmills, Mellen.

Joachim

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little”
Franklin D. Roosevelt

On Saturday, June 5, 2021, 12:56:02 PM CDT, Mellen West <mellenmail@...> wrote:

Joachim,

Tax on shoe leather already exists in sales tax but you are missing my point. I still maintain that if bikes, EVs and any alternate fuel vehicle needs to help pay at least a token amount for infrastructure they enjoy. Fuel taxes at the pump are fiscal dinosaurs.

Mellen

PS. Full medical coverage for all (AKA National Health) works well for most successful modern countries. USA profit oriented care is short sighted in my view.  Healthcare is another conversation but still an equity issue.