Re: How Biden Can Jumpstart U.S. Nuclear Waste Strategy

Joachim Saupe

Did you not a few days ago state that after ~20 years the nuclear waste can be handled with gloves?

Joachim

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little”
Franklin D. Roosevelt

On Friday, March 26, 2021, 02:42:19 PM CDT, Gene Preston <k5gp@...> wrote:

They are stored in a water tank to cool down.  STP had an Olympic size pool but was 45 ft deep as I recall.  They have removed the material and solidified it and its in concrete tanks now under a shed.  Wikipedia has a good article on this.  The reason we have so much spent fuel is the Jimmy Carter rule is still used which means mine it process it and it goes into a reactor, 5% is burned up and then removed as waste.  This is what goes into the long term storage and it does have actinides with million year half lives.  Processing can be used to clean this up and reuse the remaining fuel but reprocessing is not done under Carter’s rule because its possible to extract bomb making materials.  Problem is most other countries are doing reprocessing but not he US.  We never did get a world wide control on these processes but this is needed….Gene

Sent from Mail for Windows 10