Re: Wind & Solar Growth in Texas

Philip Timmons

Yep -- Nodal Prices near zero = Death of Central Plant. That part-due awareness is what this has all been about.

It is only the existing Bidness Structure that will go unstable and collapse

As far as What and When -- Not that hard to figure out. Texas will have to grow up and learn to play nice with the neighbors. With Coast-to-Coast bi-direction HVDC, (Texas Hub, making money coming and going) we can start with Puerto Rico sunshine in the morning, and fall asleep watching the Late Show with Cold Bay, Alaska Big Wind.

Most of our use can be Time-Shifted into local solar production, so the night is not really even a long-term concern.

On Tuesday, February 23, 2021, 01:39:02 PM CST, Gene Preston <k5gp@...> wrote:

I was only talking about freezing weather.  Also when there is more solar and wind on the grid the nodal prices will be near zero all the time.  Before we reach that level the grid will go unstable and collapse so when is that going to happen?  Who knows.

Gene

On 2/23/2021 12:41 PM, Philip Timmons via groups.io wrote:
Texas Daytime still has some value. Many areas give "Avoided Cost" credit or make payments at the End of Year, or whatever billing cycle they use. Typically around 3 to 4 cents per AC kWh. Does Green Mountain do that at the end-of-year.

Texas Nighttime is the worthless time. That is why the Free Nights and Weekend offers.
On Tuesday, February 23, 2021, 12:35:17 PM CST, Gene Preston <k5gp@...> wrote:

The problem is your solar is not worth much when the sun is shining.  Everyone wants the energy at another time like night time.  Also to sell the power to others you would have to send it back through the grid which your wires company is not going to allow.  To bad we cant bottle the energy and save for our own use.  If we could the energy problem would be solved.

Gene

On 2/23/2021 8:39 AM, Donald Hoke wrote:

Good Morning, Gene!

Thanks for your note.

I already have 42 panels on my garage, which, over the past year, produced about $250 in extra energy that is now on my credit account with Green Mountain.

If I put another 50 panels on the new car port, all I’ll do is generate more credit with Green Mountain.

How can I sell this energy into the system?  Can I rent the car port to someone who can sell the energy?

Thanks very much!

Best wishes!

Don

Donald R. Hoke, Ph.D.