Re: Wind & Solar Growth in Texas

Philip Timmons

Yep -- Nodal Prices near zero = Death of Central Plant. That part-due awareness is what this has all been about.

It is only the existing Bidness Structure that will go unstable and collapse

As far as What and When -- Not that hard to figure out. Texas will have to grow up and learn to play nice with the neighbors. With Coast-to-Coast bi-direction HVDC, (Texas Hub, making money coming and going) we can start with Puerto Rico sunshine in the morning, and fall asleep watching the Late Show with Cold Bay, Alaska Big Wind.

Most of our use can be Time-Shifted into local solar production, so the night is not really even a long-term concern.

On Tuesday, February 23, 2021, 01:39:02 PM CST, Gene Preston <k5gp@...> wrote:

I was only talking about freezing weather.  Also when there is more solar and wind on the grid the nodal prices will be near zero all the time.  Before we reach that level the grid will go unstable and collapse so when is that going to happen?  Who knows.

Gene

On 2/23/2021 12:41 PM, Philip Timmons via groups.io wrote:
Texas Daytime still has some value. Many areas give "Avoided Cost" credit or make payments at the End of Year, or whatever billing cycle they use. Typically around 3 to 4 cents per AC kWh. Does Green Mountain do that at the end-of-year.

Texas Nighttime is the worthless time. That is why the Free Nights and Weekend offers.
On Tuesday, February 23, 2021, 12:35:17 PM CST, Gene Preston <k5gp@...> wrote:

The problem is your solar is not worth much when the sun is shining.  Everyone wants the energy at another time like night time.  Also to sell the power to others you would have to send it back through the grid which your wires company is not going to allow.  To bad we cant bottle the energy and save for our own use.  If we could the energy problem would be solved.

Gene

On 2/23/2021 8:39 AM, Donald Hoke wrote:

Good Morning, Gene!

Thanks for your note.

I already have 42 panels on my garage, which, over the past year, produced about $250 in extra energy that is now on my credit account with Green Mountain.

If I put another 50 panels on the new car port, all I’ll do is generate more credit with Green Mountain.

How can I sell this energy into the system?  Can I rent the car port to someone who can sell the energy?

Thanks very much!

Best wishes!

Don

Donald R. Hoke, Ph.D.

The Virtual Steam Car Museum, Inc.

4431 Allencrest Lane

Dallas, TX  75244-7506

(972) 661-9672 (972) 955-7614

From: main@NTREG.groups.io <main@NTREG.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene Preston
Sent: Tuesday, February 23, 2021 5:26 AM
To: main@NTREG.groups.io
Subject: Re: [NTREG] Wind & Solar Growth in Texas

That's about 15 kw which is perfect.  Do you need solar at your home?  Get a PW and panels over your car port and you are all set.

Gene

On 2/22/2021 9:49 PM, Donald Hoke wrote:

OK, so how do a lease the top of my new carport that can hold about 50 solar panels?

Best wishes!

Don

Donald R. Hoke, Ph.D.

The Virtual Steam Car Museum, Inc.

4431 Allencrest Lane

Dallas, TX  75244-7506

(972) 661-9672 (972) 955-7614

From: main@NTREG.groups.io <main@NTREG.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jim Duncan
Sent: Monday, February 22, 2021 9:29 PM
To: main@NTREG.groups.io
Subject: [NTREG] Wind & Solar Growth in Texas

Gene said: Solar is taking off big time.

This solar farm in Lamar County Texas will be rated 1.3 GW when finished and will be the largest in the US. A solar customer of mine from 2009, in Lamar County, has leased 600 acres of his cattle ranch for another installation west of Paris. Other landowners are lining up to do the same around there. Looks like North East Texas is a new hot spot for solar. It helps that Oncor has a 345 KV transmission line through there.
https://electrek.co/2020/11/20/texas-largest-solar-project-us-samson/

On 2/21/2021 5:29 PM, Gene Preston wrote:

They are accurate.  Solar is taking off big time.  Wind has too many transmission constraints.  Solar is more flexible at finding locations around the state.  The large wind increases projected are going to make our grid less reliable.  Solar will make it more reliable but not at night time in the winter.  Solar is most helpful in the summer but not so much so in winter simply because of the night time load being so high.  This is where nuclear shows up as beneficial in winters providing power round the clock.

Gene Preston

On 2/21/2021 1:03 PM, Mark Witte wrote:

The projected growth of wind and solar in Texas over the next three years is astounding! Solar is projected to really take off, if the projections are accurate. 

Join main@NTREG.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.